RAF Defford Heritage Day took place on Saturday 9th July in 2016
Time: 10am – 5pm
Location: National Trust Croome Park, Worcestershire, WR8 9DW
Organised jointly by Defford Airfield Heritage Group and National Trust Croome
- Learn the story of RAF Defford, the wartime Secret Airfield in Croome Park
- Events located in and around restored 1942 RAF buildings on historic site
- Acclaimed RAF Defford Museum open all day
- New exhibition this year: Women of RAF Defford – the WAAFs, Wrens, scientists
- Fly pasts (conditions permitting) by Hurricane and Spitfire of Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
- Variety of exhibition stands and stalls under canvas on former RAF site
- Cockpit open on BAC Lightning jet fighter forward section
- Immaculately preserved cockpit section of Canberra jet bomber on display in the former RAF Ambulance Garage, the latest restored Museum building
- The Cold War Years: RAF Defford and RAF Pershore into the 1950s and 1960s
- RAF Station Sick Quarters exhibition
- Reunion of RAF Defford Veterans
- Exhibition of paintings by celebrated local artist Michael Barnard (see full story here)
- Reenactments of RAF wartime events
- Market stalls under-cover
- ‘RAF Canteen’ self-service restaurant for meals and refreshments
- ‘Bertha’ our restored 1941 YMCA ‘Tea Car’ serving drinks and snacks
- RAF-theme children’s playground
- Entrance to display area free (National Trust charges apply to the rest of the Park)
- Free car parking
This is a ground based display at former RAF base, with fly-overs (conditions permitting).
Admission to the display area and the former RAF site is free, although normal admission procedures apply for entrance to the rest of The Park and Croome Court.
The National Trust Croome page contains further information about the site, including travel directions (Croome postcode: WR8 9DW). The National Trust Croome Event diary entry can be found here. There is also a Facebook page for the event, here.
For more information on the event, contact Becky Wilks of the National Trust at Croome on 01905 370005; or Kevin McCann of the Defford Airfield Heritage Group by using the Contact Us form on this web-site.