Canberra WT333 and the TFU

Canberra WT333

Canberra WT333 is one of the few, perhaps the only aircraft still “alive” extant which can be connected with TFU Defford, admittedly probably at one stage removed.

This Canberra is co-owned by DAHG members Roger Wintle, Clive Davies and Stephen Reglar plus one other person. It is maintained and preserved in a “live” condition at Bruntingthorpe airfield in Leicestershire, where the engines are run and the aircraft regularly undertakes ground runs – see

Canberra WT333 was completed and supplied directly to the Ministry for Supply, for trials work at RAE Farnborough, in 1956. At this date the TFU at Defford was still active, the airfield did not close until 1957, so it is just possible WT333 visited Defford in 1956 or 1957.

In 1957, when Defford airfield closed, radar research on behalf of what was now the Royal Radar Establishment (RRE) moved to Pershore airfield. In 1969, after a varied career in research and development at Farnborough, Boscombe Down, Woomera and elsewhere, WT333 was assigned to the RRE Flight at Pershore in 1969, moving on to RAE Bedford in 1977, before disposal and preservation at Bruntingthorpe in 1995.

For the full story of Canberra WT333, see

This entry was posted in DAHG Research. Bookmark the permalink.